Sunday, November 05, 2006

NYC - Photo Plus 2006

The Photo Plus expo was decently cool this year :)

I got a chance to play with the Pentax K10D and I gotta say it was pretty cool. The autofocus was insanely fast, especially when compared to my DS. It seems to take nice pictures and they had some demo prints that showed how accurate the auto-color balance and image processing was. They also had a set that showed a very crisp low-light exposure and claimed that it was due to the anti-shake technology. I know enough not to read too deeply into any company's marketing ploys which is why I'll wait for detailed reviews to surface before getting too excited.

Another interesting find... Bibble Pro, A Raw conversion software package that seems really slick and has some pretty cool noise reduction and dynamic range recoverability features. The presenter was touting that one could save many otherwise busted shots with these two features. I am skeptical, as usual, but I was very intrigued and will be trying this software out. They have a free fully functioning (for two weeks) demo.. and best of all... IT RUNS ON LINUX!!!!!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) (As well as windows and Mac OS X).

There were lots of other software companies, I was not too interested in them. Lots of companies that do prints over the internet and lots of people trying to sell massive printers that look more like plotters.

After the expo we walked from the Javits Center to central park. We walked around central park and took pictures and then walked to 60th and 5th which is where our bus was picking us up. We ate at some deli around there for lunch/dinner. Tiff had a #205, ham, cheese and sun dried tomatoes on 7-grain bread. I has a #208, a BLT/Turkey sandwich with herb mayo on 7-grain bread.

After dinner we still had about an hour to kill so we went and sat at a restaurant/pub and waited. Some drank, some talked, I decided to take pictures. I'm glad that I did because I managed to get a few nice shots there. You can check them out, along with other pictures from the trip, in my gallery

No comments: